Vacation Home Rentals (VHR)
To make a complaint or report a disturbance, please contact 530 542-7474 at the time of the disturbance and an officer will be dispatched in response. Please note, this phone number is only for City of South Lake Tahoe VHR complaints and disturbances.
For general VHR Enforcement questions, please call 530-542-6071.
- If you’re looking for information related to Measure T, all the current information from the City is available here.
- There will no longer be Warnings to VHR owners. All code violations to the VHR Ordinance will result in a $250 – 1,000 citation to either or both the owner of the property and the renter of the home.
- If a VHR receives three upheld citations within a 24 month period, they will lose their VHR permit.
- No excessive noise or hot-tub use allowed between the hours of 10pm and 8am.
- Bear boxes (PDF) must be installed in all VHRs. Welcome to STR
- Camping is prohibited on VHR properties (this includes sleeping in a motorhome at the VHR)
- The owner of the VHR is required to inform their guest renters of the requirement to comply with all aspects of the City’s VHR Ordinance.
How do I know if my property is in the Tourist Core Area Plan or a Residential zone?
To determine if your property is located in the Tourist Core Area Plan versus a Residential area, then please click the following link: City of South Lake Tahoe map (PDF). You may also search for the property using the VHR GIS Map below. Once determined to be in the Tourist Core Area, go to Application and Renewal in the Tourist Core.
Permitting Process for New VHRs
A VHR permit is required for all properties meeting the definition of a VHR. New Vacation home rental permits are not allowed in residential areas. If you have questions about the permitting process, please call VHR Enforcement at (530) 542-6071.
Renewal Process for Existing VHRs
Vacation home rental permits must be renewed on an annual basis prior to expiration by filing a renewal application and a renewal fee.
Download the VHR Application (PDF).
There is no grace period. Failure to renew and pay the applicable fees in a timely manner will render the vacation home rental permit null and void. Residential-area permits will still require annual renewal, but will permanently expire on their expiration date in 2021
A vacation home rental permit will be renewed if the following findings are made:
1. The renewal application is complete and the applicant has complied with the submittal requirements.
2. There have not been three or more upheld citations issued for violations of the City Code at the vacation home rental property within any twenty-four (24) month period. Upheld citations mean citations which were neither overturned on appeal nor dismissed.
3. The vacation home rental permit has not lapsed, expired, been revoked, or suspended.
4. The vacation home rental is current on transient occupancy taxes has paid all said taxes in full to the City. Returns must be filed whether rents are received or not.
5. The vacation home rental permit has not been transferred to another person, entity, or property.
Denial of a VHR Renewal
The Development Services Department will notify the applicant in writing if a VHR permit is denied. The decision shall become final unless the applicant appeals the decision to the City of South Lake Tahoe Planning Commission in accordance with the appeal provisions of the SLTCC Section 2.35.
Other Useful Information, Forms, and Templates
Do you need to update your local contact information? Download the form (PDF).
Exterior Sign Template (PDF)
Interior Sign Template (PDF)
Hot Tub Sign Template (PDF)
Inspection Checklist (PDF)
One Time Credit Card Authorization form
VHR Annual Permit Fee
> 12 $1,325
The VHR map is updated on a daily basis. If you have a question regarding the status of a property please contact the VHR Clerk at (530) 542-6011 or via email. For a larger map, visit the Arcgis website.
For More Information About Property Management and Rental Companies. Visit our Rental Department.
Pinnacle Lake Tahoe Getaways – Rental Division
*Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Please Contact the County and City of South Lake Tahoe for Updated Information.